During your dental appointment, the dentist will first check your teeth and gums to identify any signs of tooth decay, gum disease or any other issues of importance and talk to you about any treatment you may need.
Working closely with our dentists and specialists our excellent hygienist will provide a tailor-made preventive care programme, for each individual patient to help them achieve and maintain a high standard of oral hygiene that will greatly reduce the likelihood of developing gum disease or tooth decay.
The preventive care programme
This service may include:
- Dietary advice
- Advice on products and oral hygiene aids that we feel may help
- Instruction on correct use of oral hygiene aids and products
- Your hygienist will also talk to you about any habits that may affect the teeth and gums (e.g. smoking and drinking etc)
- Part of this preventive programme will include a meticulous scale and polish to remove all hard 'tartar' (calculus) which builds can build up on your teeth
Following a good preventive regime at home combined and visits to your hygienist or dentist may not fully guarantee you steer clear of dental problems throughout your life, but it will give you the very best chance.
Creating your own daily Dental Routine
A few small changes in your daily dental care can make a big different long-term. We recommend ensuring you have as a minimum – a toothbrush, toothpaste and interdental (between the teeth) cleaning. It is important to clean your teeth at least twice a day, once in the morning and before bed.
If you have partial or full dentures, you should be cleaning them thoroughly to ensure that is no food or bacteria left that can contribute to gum disease and they should be left out at night.
What we recommend
- We generally recommend a six month regular review programme.
- For more vulnerable/susceptible individuals we recommend these visits should be three to four times a year.
These intervals are normally assessed by your Dentist/Specialist or Hygienist.
To start or refresh your own preventive programme call the practice today on 0207 229 5542.